Shortcut Samoas Cookies



Hey, we all like to cut corners every now and then. I did just that and man did it taste good! Your typical Samoas Cookie recipes begin with a shortbread cookie (of sorts) and of course finished off with the most important ingredients: CARAMEL and COCONUT. I was not lax on that step, it is the most important after all. Here's what I did do...


Cookie:

1 roll of store bought sugar cookie dough

Topping:

3 cups shredded coconut
12-oz chewy caramels (Family Dollar offered their version of Brachs Caramels, so I went with it)
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp milk
8 oz. chocolate (chocolate chips will work fine)

First I lightly dusted my counter top with flour, a little on the rolling pin too. Rolled out the cookie dough, used a cookie cutter and cut them out.  I wanted the typical "hole in the middle" so I used an itty bitty cookie cutter and, well, cut the center hole.  You do not have to do that step, the hole is not that important, I just wanted to really feel like I was having an authentic samoas :). I'll probably skip it next time as it made the tender crisp cookies a bit vulnerable for breakage, hense, I broke a few while topping them with the gooey stuff. Oh well.

Once you've got your cookies cut out, follow the package instructions and bake.  Let cool and set aside.

While cookies are cooling, prepare your topping.  I toasted the coconut in the oven for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.  Definitely have to keep an eye on it, will burn very easily. When golden brown, remove and let cool.

Now, place your caramels, milk and salt in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2-3 minutes.  Stir and continue microwaving until melted.

Add your toasted coconut to the caramel and mix well. Set aside for now.

Melt your chocolate in the microwave too. I'd say stir every 30-40 seconds until melted.  Dip the bottom of your cookies in the chocolate and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.  Poke them in the freezer for a few minutes for a quick set.

Top each cookie with around 2 tsp. of the caramel topping and drizzle with more melted chocolate, or not.  Let rest until "set".

My goodness they are rich and so delicious. They really taste just like the original! You be the judge and try it out! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment