Southwestern Bbq Chicken Salad



This is one of the best salads I have tried in a while.  I say that about every new recipe I find and love! I know I know. But, seriously, if your in the mood for a hearty salad, definitely give this a try.  Most likely you have all the ingredients already.  To me, the dressing is just as important as the flavors of the salad itself.  I think a dressing should compliment the flavors in the salad. Well let me tell you this, the salad said THANK YOU! The Creamy Avocado Ranch dressing was the perfect pair up for this zesty salad. This winning duo will be on my menu again.

(Some of you will pick out real quickly that there is no corn on my dish. Your absolutely right. Just because it doesn't suit my taste doesn't mean you should not include it into the recipe, it's there for a reason, and apparently a good one, just not for me :) Enjoy!

Chicken breast, grilled, baked or rotisserie chicken, shredded
Southwesten bbq sauce, I chose Hickory flavor
Iceberg lettuce, chopped
Romaine lettuce,chopped
 red onion, finely diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, shopped
1- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 – 15 ounce can or corn, drained
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
sliced black olives
cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
crunched chips, your choice, opt.

I chose to use my George Foreman Grill and cooked up 2 boneless breasts, adding bbq sauce the last minute. Let it rest while I assembled my salad. Sliced and plated atop my salad. Topped it with a handful of crushed tortilla chips (I like crunch) and then onto making the amazing dressing.



1 cup ranch dressing
1 avocado
1/2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste


Dump it in your food processor and blend until creamy.  If it's too thick for you, you can add some milk a few splashes at a time to thin it down. Pour a small splash in and then blend, repeat as needed. 


Next time, I will make the dressing up at least a few hours ahead and refrigerate so the flavors will meld together.  Don't get me wrong, IT WAS AMAZING without that step, but I think the flavors would definitely be intensified after sitting a while.







No comments:

Post a Comment