Leftover Steak Mongolian Beef






2 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. ginger, minced
2 Tbsp. garlic, minced (I use the store bought minced, very handy)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar, dark is preferred, but light is fine.
1 cup oil, (for frying your meat)
1 lb flank steak OR leftover steak
1/4 cup cornstarch

choice of additions might include; green onions, broccoli, water chestnuts (yummy crunch), pineapple chunks, slivered carrots, bell peppers, ect. (check out your freezer section at the grocery store for stir fry vegetables).

In your saute pan, heat your 2 tbsp. of oil over medium heat.  Add your ginger and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, just enough to get it sizzling. Add your soy sauce and brown sugar and bring to a boil.  Once it comes to a boil, reduce and simmer for a few minutes.  Set aside.

Now, this is the easy part for me because I had a couple of leftover steaks.  I just sliced the steaks up and set aside for a minute while I added all my veggies to my pan.  I cooked the vegetables with the sauce just until they were al dente'.  Then I added my sliced leftover steak meat and continued cooking until everything was hot.  Was delicious!



Here's the directions in case you don't have any leftover beef:


Slice your flank steak into strips, cutting again the grain of the meat.  Coat your meat with cornstarch (zip lock baggie is the way to go here).  Once it's all coated, let rest for 5-10 minutes.  This helps the cornstarch "set".


While your meat is resting, go ahead and add your cup of oil to your pan and get it pretty hot, not smoking, but pretty hot.  Add your meat and let it cook for a few minutes, it won't take it long to cook because it's cut pretty thin, maybe 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towel.

Discard your oil and add your sauce and vegetables to the pan and cook until warmed through. I like to leave a little crunchy bite to my vegetables, so I cook them until they are al dente'. Return your meat to the pan and mix well.  Serve over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment