Fresh Apple Cake



This is one of those cakes that, well, the longer it sets, the better it gets. Oh, don't get me wrong, it is just as delicious warm and fresh out of the oven. The added bonus to this lovely cake is that instead of drying out, it gets more moist as the days pass on, if it lasts that long... Happy Fall Y'all!

Cream together:
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil (yes, 1 1/2)
2 cups sugar


Sift:
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda

Combine all.

Add:
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 tsp. vanilla
4 cups of chopped granny smith apples (about 3 1/2 apples, I chop 1 apple and shred the rest)

Note~this batter is VERY stiff, don't worry, it's suppose to be that way.  When the apples cook they add plenty of moisture to the cake to make it moist. Plus, your going to add more moisture when your glaze soaks in.

Pour into a greased and floured 9 X 13 cake pan.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.

While your cake is baking, make the glaze:
1 cup light brown sugar
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of milk

Boil the glaze for 2 1/2 minutes. When cake comes out of the oven, take a fork and stab, yes stab your cake all over, and then pour your warm glaze over the top.

Like I said, this is one of those cakes that "the longer it sets, the better it gets". It's delicious on day 1, better on day two (if it lasts that long :)



4 comments:

  1. OMG, awesome cake. I used the above glaze on 3/4 of the cake and I made a hot buttered rum glaze for the other 1/4, I liked the above glaze better. The next day I did not think it could be any better than the first day it came out of the oven, you were right, more moist and gooooood stuff. We had it for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!I am so happy you liked it. It's my all time favorite cake, now you know why :) Thanks AJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-hell-o, I got another one in the oven. I'm trying to lose some weight but this cake came to mind and I got to have some with a cup of coffee on this cold snowy looking day. A bite or three won't hurt, much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi AJ, you've made me hungry now. I am going to make this one tonight too. Guess I'll be having some with coffee in the morning too (raises coffee cup... CHEERS! :)

    ReplyDelete