Candy Apple Jelly


4 cups of apple juice
1/2 cup red-hot candies
1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
4 1/2 cups sugar

In a large sauce pan, combine the apples, candies and pectin.  Bring to a full rolling boil (high heat).  Be sure and stir constantly.  Once boiling, add your sugar and bring it back up to a full rolling boil and cook for 2 more minutes.  Again, keep stirring.

You will need to skim off any foam and fish out any undissolved candies. 

Very carefully ladle your hot jelly mixture into sterilized half pint jars.  I recommend using a canning funnel. Be sure and leave about 1/4 inch head space.  Remove any air bubbles (I use a butter knife to sort of stir them out), use a damp cloth to wipe the rims clean and put your lids on, hand tighten.  

Process in a boiler water bath for 10 minutes. Make sure you have enough water to cover the the tops of the jars and remember, the water will cook down, so either add a touch more before boiling or keep a kettle of hot water on the back burner to add more if needed. 

This recipe make about 6 pint jars. Remember, God said share! Think my mailman will enjoy a surprise jar in the mailbox for him? Bet yours would too. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Instead of the red hots, try Jolly Rancher
    Cinnamons....a whole lot snappier and the
    grandkids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a WONDERFUL idea! I'm definitely going to do just that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a beginner canner and will avoid any lengthy canning recipe that requires too many steps. With that being said, I was so thrilled with how easy this was, after finishing the first batch I turned around and immediately made another! I can't believe I processed TWO BATCHES of something, lol.

    Everything went smooth. I followed your directions exactly. I did add a dash of ground cloves to my second batch. A lady I know makes her apple butter with clove extract and it's absolutely divine, so I figured why not add it to this too. The jars are setting right now and I can't wait to try the jelly once it's ready!

    I was a bit confused why I didn't get 6 pints, but I'm guessing that was supposed to be 6 half pints? With the two batches I got 7.5 pints.

    I'm hoping to hand these out at Christmas.... if they last that long, lol.

    ReplyDelete