Seasoned Flour Dredge



All though there's nearly an entire spice rack in this recipe, it's pretty basic, and pretty delicious. Fried Chicken, pork, squash, okra,   I could go on and on about all the foods worthy of this dredge, but I won't.  I'll let you figure that part out by yourself.  So, you better get to crackin', I really want you to try it out.

Make up a smaller batch if you just want to "taste test" first before making up a whole batch.  I have a feeling you will be making a larger batch later.  I actually double the recipe. Hey, I live in the South, we like to batter and fry :) , and in moderation, that is ok.

Recipe adapted from food.com.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. seasoning salt
1 Tbsp. celery salt
1 Tbsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. dry mustard
2 1/2 - 3 Tbsp. smoked paprika (If using regular paprika, use 4 Tbsp.)
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano


Sift all the ingredients together, you can even put in your food processor and give it a few pulses. Don't pulse too much, you don't to turn it into powder.

If you like a crumb topping dredge just mix 1 ½ Tbsp. of this mix with 1 cup of  fine dry bread crumbs. 1 1/2 Tbsp. of cornmeal works out great too for fish.

Store in an air tight container.

I can't tell you the shelf life as I go through so fast. I've even packaged it up in a small size mason jar and given as a neighborly gift with the recipe attached. If making a super large batch, you can store in the freezer to insure longer lasting freshness.  I will tell you though, make sure your containers lid has a good tight seal to it, flour tends to absorb odors/flavors from other food products.



  



No comments:

Post a Comment