Jazzed-Up Store Bought Spaghetti Sauce



I actually like store bought spaghetti sauce, it's true, embrace it! All though, I do find it a tad on the bland side some times.  So, I decided to play around a little bit. It paid off, the sauce was oh so delicious.  I know this much, I will be using store bought sauce as a base for my pasta sauce from now on. Cheap, easy, and very flavorful.  I think this sauce would be amazing used as a dipping sauce with some mozzarella cheese sticks or maybe even some yummy bread sticks. I like it when I get creative, especially when it tastes so good.

Next time you see some on sale, grab it and give it a try. I hope you like it. Enjoy!

1 can of store bought spaghetti sauce
½ onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (3 tsp. if using dried)
28-32 oz can of whole peeled tomato
1 small can of tomato paste
1 small can of sliced or diced black olives (do not drain, juice is going in too)

1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 – 2 tablespoon sugar (opt)
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, preferably unsalted.
salt and pepper to taste

Saute your onions in a deep pot when just about translucent, add your garlic. Let that heat just long enough to warm your garlic.  Now, dump everything else in.

Bring to a boil. Stand back and use your lid as a shield. No, really, that stuff is gonna spit and spatter! 

Let it lightly boil, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes minutes.  Turn heat down and simmer for about 1 hour.

You could absolutely do this in the crock pot.  On low, for 5-8 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment