The PERFECT Meatloaf


Who the heck doesn't want to try one of The Pioneer Women's recipes?! I have wanted to try this one for quite some time now, only in fear, I'd screw it up and it wouldn't be anything close to her surely fabulous Meatloaf. I tried it tonight, IT WAS AMAZING! Best I ever have had or made, I tell you! I flubbed up a couple of the steps even. Didn't matter! IT turned out better than she led on!

I slightly adjusted the recipe to my taste- (Here's her original recipe)

Meatloaf: 
3/4 cup whole milk
6 slices white bread
2-ish' pounds ground beef ( I had a smidge over 2 lbs.)
1 salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 diced onion
4 whole eggs beaten
10 slices thin bacon

Sauce:
1-1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Tabasco to taste, opt.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour milk over the bread slices. Allow it to soak in for several minutes.

Place the ground beef, milk-soaked bread, salt, and black pepper  in a large mixing bowl. Add in your beaten eggs. (I actually just tore up my bread, dumped it in with the meat and then poured the milk in).

You know I like to use the cooking tools God gave me, so I want you to too, USE YOUR HANDS and git in there, mix it up well.

Form your "log-oh- meat". Hint: don't smoosh it down to tight, that just compacts the meat and tends to make for a dense er heavy meatloaf. I honest and truly believe THIS step was the defining factor in the most juiciest meatloaf I have ever eaten!

Lay bacon slices across the top, width wise, tucking the ends underneath the meatloaf.

I have to admit, I didn't follow Ree's instruction/ measurements here.  I got overly excited. I was ready too cook this thang', HERS had be drooling from hello!. I just squeezed an eyeballed amount of ketchup into a bowl, a few shakes of dry mustard and a 5 finger pinch of brown sugar, a pretty good pinch. I'm sure hers was wayyyy better than mine, but, my way was so tasty too, maybe I got lucky, this time :) Spread a good amount of sauce onto your loaf, leaving a little for your second application later in cooking process.
 
Bake for 45 minutes, then slather the rest of the sauce over the top. Bake for 15 more minutes or so, I did crank my oven to 400 after the second application, my bacon sides weren't as brown as I preferred, my oven has a mind of it's own, (it's ADD/HD I think!).  Ugh!

 (I wished I had listened to her better and saved some of the sauce for a little side sauce though,  dang it!)

Omg! It turned out to be the juiciest and BEST meatloaf I have ever made or had.. This meatloaf lover is a happy camper! Thanks Mrs. Drummond!



2 comments:

  1. When my children were young they would not eat meatloaf, until I made it like this with the bacon. However, I made it into small, individual sized servings and called it "Super-Hero" meals (served with mac & cheese and salad) and my son would ask, "When are we having Super-Hero meal again?" I went from not getting him to eat meatloaf to asking for meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! Will definitely be remembering this cute tip to use on my grandson when he gets a little older. He's 2 now and a very picky eater already. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete