Honey Roasted Peanut Butter


When my brother David and I were young kids, our parents would take us to this "place" that had bins and bins of nuts, dried fruits and seeds that you could buy by the bag full.  Best part for me and David, the free tasting samples! I'd always go for the shelled sunflower seeds and banana chips. Not sure where my brother went, but do remember we always ended up at the machine that made fresh peanut butter with the peanuts we bought. It was soo soo good. That was well over 30 years ago and I can taste that peanut butter to this day.  It's true what they say, tastes and smells DO make memories.

I was more than excited to find this recipe over at Joy The Baker's site. Hopeful it would end up just as I was hoping it would....

makes just over 1 cup of peanut butter
1 1/2 cups honey roasted peanuts (you can also used roasted unsalted peanuts, or roasted and salted peanuts, adjusting the salt to taste)
pinch of salt

Add the peanuts to your food processor and let er rip! Following Joy's instruction, pulse 4-5 minutes.  I did as she said and stop a few times to scrape down the sides. (this let's your processor cool down a bit too). I added about a Tbsp. of honey and a splash of peanut oil too. Next time, I'll probably use a dash peanut oil instead of a splash.

Depending on your preference, chunky, grainy or smooth, continue to process.

Joy said to store in an airtight container in the fridge and place in a warm water bath or in a low microwave for 30-45 seconds to soften and spread. I added the extra honey and peanut oil, so I didn't have to soften before hand. None the less,  delicious!

I used Family Dollar container of Honey Roasted Peanuts for starters, about $2.00 for the off brand.  Turned out delicious!! I will be trying Planters Honey Roasted, or just Roasted next...I'm going to be a peanut butter making fool! This is a good thing.

A great childhood memory brought back to life. Thanks Joy! Ya did good kid!

2 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea. Perfect for National Honey Month too.

    Thanks for sharing...I'm off to find you on Pinterest but I'm pinning this just in case:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise! National Honey Month...you've excited ME now :)

    ReplyDelete