Beer Battered Green Beans



Living in a very rural area, the biggers cities are 3 hours away, each direction. So, I guess you could say it's more than a Hop-Skip and Jump to get me the ever so loved crispy beer battered green beans.  I've tried the frozen one, from the grocery store. They are alright I guess. Just alright. So, with my craving at it's peak, I had nothing to lose. How hard could it be? Well, I have the answer for you....NOT HARD AT ALL!  Quite frankly, I loved them even better than the restaurant version (Other than I had to clean up my own mess .) I wouldn't lie to you..., they're great! Go ahead, take a stab at it, I love to say "I told ya so"

Fresh or frozen string green beans
Oil for frying

Beer Batter:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup light beer (or ice cold water)

Fry at 350 for 4 minutes.

Ready? Put all your ingredients for your batter in the bowl, except the beer OR water. I always add about 3/4 of the cup liquid first, then mix it all up, and add a little more liquid at a time until I get the "pancake batter" consistency I'm wanting.  Mix it up well. Dip your beans, fry your beans, eat your beans. Tada! (Told ya SO!)

I would recommend using a frying thermometer if you don't have a deep fryer with a temp. setting gauge built in.  I would also suggest cooking 2 or 3 beans first off, a few little testers I'd say.  Let them cool enough before cramming the hotties into your mouth, you wont to be able to taste the flavors to see if you need to add any seasoning if  ITS BURNING YOUR TASTE BUDS OFF!  If your like me, you won't resist and take the first HOT bite. (It tasted just fine to me, especially since it was dipped in Ranch :) My next quest.....Using Asparagus instead of Green Beans...and a cheese sauce for the dipping sauce...I think it will be heavenly. I'll keep ya posted!




No comments:

Post a Comment