Spicy Smoky Barbecue Sauce




"My search has ended" say's Lindsey from over at My Own Ideas...And I completely understand! My search for a perfect bbq sauce, perfect for me, has ended as well. Thanks to Foodie with Family and her recipe, my days of making batches of bbq sauce to only end with an "eh, it's alright" are no more. I never knew one could get so thrilled, no, EXCITED over Bbq sauce, the perfect Bbq Sauce I should say! Thanks to all involved who posted, prepared and shared. The recipe will grace my recipe box and will also make for wonderful gift to give out.  My Own Ideas also provided this awesome link for custom labels. It's a good day!!

3 yellow onions, chopped
8-10 cloves of garlic, minced (I always have a jar in the fridge on hand, from the grocery store)
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
 2 cups tomato paste
  2 cups Dijon mustard
  1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
  2 cups molasses
  1 cups brown sugar
  1 1/2 cups hoisin sauce (Asian isle-grocery store)
  1 cups Worcestershire sauce
  3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  4 tablespoons chili powder
  2 tablespoons ground cumin
  1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes


Add your oil and onions in a large pot, saute until soft and translucent. Add all the other ingredients, stirring well to blend. Bring it all to a simmer (watch out for those "popping air bubbles", things could get messy real fast, trust me). Once you reach a simmer, turn heat down to low and cook for about 30 minutes. Be sure and allow this to cool for 15-20 minutes.

Now, if you have an immersion blender, get after it, blend away. Your just wanting to puree the onions and garlic basically.  If you do not, you could sure use your upright. Just do in small batches, don't over fill. Bigger messes will happen.

Feel free to follow the advise and use a sieve to strain out some of the bigger chunks while filling your jars, or containers, or whatever. I chose to leave a little "chunk in my junk", so, I did not sieve. A sieving I did not do.

You have a couple of storage options:

1. Store in fridge for up to 6 months
2. Process your jars in a boiling water bath for 10-15 minutes. (Makes 6 pints)
3. Fill a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 6 months.
4. Fill an ice cube tray with your sauce. When frozen solid, transfer to a freezer safe Ziploc baggie, and thaw as much or little as needed when ready to use.
5. Slap a pretty little label on those jars of goodness, and, you know what's coming don't you? Yep, you guess it,  give them as a gift. Share the love!!





No comments:

Post a Comment