Pasta al Pomodoro


Thanks to Marc from norecipes.com for attempting to broaden my vocabulary and providing a wonderful, light and fresh recipe.  I definitely enjoyed it!

Well, well, well..."Pasta al Pomodoro".....Have I went and made a very sophisticated meal? Have I found the intellectual culinary niche that has been dying get out and get creative? Do we all have these "moments"? Have I went and broke open the secret to fine Italian cuisine in my travels?  I have the urge to hold up my pinky right now....Have I found my niche'? NO.  I made a darn bowl of  spaghetti from a recipe I found on the web. No more, no less. I didn't want to spend the time making my own sauce, didn't wan't to get out and buy any so I managed to find a quick and easy recipe with what I had on hand.....just so happens, combined all together made for a  "worldly and sophisticated" title. I think when I "sopped it up with bread", think that kind blew the "sophistication" plum out of the dish.  If you ask me, Pasta al Pomodora is just a fancy shmancy name for good ole "SKETTI"...I am quite sure it has it's reasons for the attractive name, but, I'm hungry and don't need to a history lesson right now. Around here, we call it like we see it....Sketti.


12-16 ounces pasta, boiled according to package directions
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 medium cloves of garlic smashed and roughly chopped
4 large vine ripened tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1-2 teaspoons salt
Parmesan cheese, for topping
basil leaves, julienned 

The sauce should take about 5 minutes to cook, so time your pasta accordingly. Use the boiling water for the pasta to parboil the tomatoes for about 30 seconds to make them easy to peel.

 Add the oil and garlic to a large frying pan and heat over high heat. Fry until the garlic is fragrant, but don’t let it brown. Add the tomatoes and saut√© until the liquid left in the pan isn’t watery anymore. Add salt to taste. 

When the pasta is done, drain and add it to the frying pan along with the basil. (PAUSE: I just used a clump of it to make the dish as pretty as it's name. I hate picking it out of my teeth. Lowering pinky down now.) Toss to coat and sprinkle with your Parmesan. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment