Canned Salsa


After using the same ole family recipe for years....and years...I decided to step outside of my box (don't get me wrong, I like my box :), but, trying new things is not only exciting, but very well may lead to creating something that will be around 60 years from now. Like, your "own" family recipe.  I believe I just may have stumbled upon the birth of MY very own "hand me down" family recipe, one to start anyhow. All thanks to miss Leigh Ann from YourHomeBasedMom. Now, her recipe for Canned Salsa is perfect in itself!  But, I wanted "my own", so, I played around with her recipe and by golly, I believe I have done it! Family approved! I have gone and made a memory-to-be. Don't ever pass up any chance you have to make a memory, they last forever, even if the salsa doesn't. 

16 cups tomatoes, blended. 
5 green peppers, chopped
3-4 onions, chopped
A couple jalapeno peppers, chopped fine (you might want to omit this step if you don't want heat)
1 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic (I use the jarred, quick and easy, and just as fresh)
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh chopped cilantro (including stems)
1/2 cup brown sugar (you can add more to your liking)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin  salt
 pepper
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 lemon or lime juice


Prep your vegetables and then dump all ingredients into a large pot. You will want to cook this down for at least an hour.   Process for 15 minutes in a hot water bath. That's it, simple enough. This batch will  make 8-10 pints. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment