Onion Petal Dippers

In this particular photo, I actually had some beer batter left from earlier making Beer Battered Jalapeno Bites.  I couldn't see any sense in wasting it so, welp, I went for it!

Here is the actual recipe I use any other time for the Onion Pedals, all though I will admit, I do not favor one recipe more than the other. I favor them both the same. Yum!

1 yellow onion, large
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cumin
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Cut off both ends of your peeled onion, cut in half & then in quarters. I ended up making 4 cuts in my onion. Holding the onion firm, I cut a "t" shape first, then, still holding together, I made and "x" cut. A total of 4 cuts made perfect bite sized pedals.

 In 2 separate bowls, mix 1 with eggs & buttermilk, whisk well and set aside. In your other bowl, mix your dry ingredients.

 We're gonna do the triple dip method now. No double dipping allowed on this! Dip your onion petal in the flour, now in  the egg mixture, once again, dredge in flour.  Gently shake off any excess. 

 Place in deep fryer & cook til brown, just a couple minutes.  Be sure and do a few at a time, do in small batches so that they don't stick together. Maybe giving the oil a swipe with your straining spatula to keep "the kids separated".  

When golden and crispy, remove and drain on paper towel. 

Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, it's a must! Here's what I whooped up. 

Kinda of a faux Bloomin' Onion Sauce:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup ketchup
1/2 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
1/8 cup light olive oil
good squeeze of a half a lemon

Not too shabby if I do say so myself.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment