Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Chicken Bites

 

4 chicken tenders, pounded flat and cut in two
3 oz package of softened cream cheese
2 jalapeno peppers
4 Slices bacon cut in half

 

Start off by grabbing a heavy duty zip lock baggie and your "weapon" of choice for pounding your chicken tenders (whole boneless breast work fine too).  My choice of  pounding tools were: A) cast iron skillet, B) a rolling pin (for smacking not rolling), C) a rubber mallet in the tool junk drawer,  D) a meat tenderizer/mallet. All though the cast iron skillet would help release any pent up aggressions, I chose the obvious, the meat mallet. It is a tenderizer on one side and flat on the other.

 

Now, place your chicken in your baggie, release the air and zip it up. Make sure to not over crowd the baggie, your chicken is about to spread-out. So, work in batches if needed. Ok, ready? Now give it a good whack! Don't beat the tar out of it, but get aggressive. Keep the contact point in the center'ish of the chicken.With each swipe, drag your "tool" towards the outside edges of the meat. Most likely you will not have to directly work-over the edges of the meat. Your technique will take care of them. Remember, whack in the center and pull or push towards the edges until your desired thickness (thin'ness) is desired.  I'd say I ended up with around 1/4 to 1/2" thinned chicken.

 

Prep your jalapeno's. Wash, cut off tops, de-seed, slice in half (lengthwise), and then slice the halves in half, ending up with 8 slices of jalapenos.

 

Slice your bacon pieces in half, ending up with, yep, you guessed it, 8 slices.

 

Pretty self explanatory from this point on, but I'll give the 411 anyways....For each chicken section, add 1-2 tsp. dollop(s) of cream cheese, top with your jalapeno sliver, roll up, wrap your bacon around your bundle and secure with a toothpick.

 

 I grilled these on a gas grill, your oven will work just fine too. My grill cooks perfect when I set the knobs on low (lid closed). I let them cook until the bacon is golden and crispy, then I flipped and repeated for each side. You will lose a drop or two of the cream cheese as it oozes out of the cooking chicken (this always makes me sad, and I always try to retrieve and reapply it where it belongs before it goes through the grates of my grill, haha).



That about sums it up. Oh, wait, don't forget to remove the toothpicks before diving in.



I hope you love this delicious finger food as much as I do. May want to make double, they will go fassssttt...ENJOY!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment